What started as a simple window treatment has turned into an all-out redecorating fiasco. While still a work-in-progress, I thought I would share some photos of the current state of our dining room.
I decided to tackle No. 2 on my 31 in 365 in early May. The previous homeowners had painted the walls an uninspiring dark beige. After great deliberation Bird and I selected a pale putty color called Dove Wing that, when in the right light, seems to almost glow. I also repaired and repainted the ceilings, and then painted the trim with a high gloss ultra white. I am really pleased with how much larger the space looks once painted.
Once the walls were painted and the snazzy new drapes hung, we turned our attention to the chandelier, or lack-there-of. Instead of a chandelier, our dining room was illuminated by the kind of cheap round light that you would expect to see over a toilet. My mother found the perfect drum pendant lamp at Tuesday Morning for a mere $80. Bird had to hack it a bit to make it work in our space, but the end result is just what we had in mind: subtle, trendy and within budget. And, for the first time ever, my dinner is well-lit!
My second big sewing project were new covers for our Ikea Harry chairs. The cats had done a number on the old red covers in just a year so I knew I did not want to spent a lot of money on new ones. I also found the limited colors and prints at Ikea to be uninspiring. Instead, I selected a heavy-duty outdoor fabric that coordinated nicely with the drapes. Using the old cover as a pattern, the awesome Loretta helped me create two fantastic covers that cost only $30 and two mornings of sewing time.